Mindfulness in Education
When Lismore’s Bobbi Allan founded Mindfulness in Education in February 2012 she brought Shakti Burke on board for hands-on practical classroom advice. Shakti’s regular experience in the classroom presenting mindfulness techniques to primary school children (K-6) over a three year period has served the project well.
Mindfulness in Education has provided training for over sixty Primary School teachers and 18 High School teachers from North Coast schools. Parents are invited to attend morning sessions.
Teacher Mindfulness Training
Bobbi and Shakti have delivered one-day training programs to many separate clusters of teachers since 2012.
1. Dunoon, The Channon, Blakebrook and Larnook primary schools.
2. Tabulam Primary School.
3. Rous, Tregeagle, Broadwater, Woodburn, Whyrallah, Empire Vale, Cabbage Tree Island and Newrybar primary schools.
4. Crabbes Creek, Byron Bay Community School and Mullumbimby High (School Counsellor and Head Teacher Welfare).
5. Coomera Anglican College, Queensland.
6. Dunoon Public School staff, March 2014
7. A group of teachers from Coffee Camp Public School,
Nimbin Central and Barker's Vale public school held at Goonellebah NSW 2015
8. Goonellebah mixed group 2016
9. The Pocket, NSW, January 2016 (with 2-year regular classroom visits)
10. Caningeraba, Qld, October 2017
11. Modanville Public School/ Blakebrook staff, 2018
12. Possums Preschool, Condong NSW, 2018 (& classroom visits)
The training days have been presented at host schools and delivered on a designated ‘Staff Development’ (pupil-free) days. Interested parents can attend the first session (up until morning tea) which includes a Mindful Parenting presentation.
Embedding Mindfulness in the Classroom: Year-long visits
In 2014, Mindfulness in Education delivered a series of Mindfulness sessions throughout the year to the three age-groups at Dunoon Public School, NSW.
In 2016, we are delivering a program in classrooms at The Pocket Public School.
We have held in-classroom demonstration classes at:
During 2014, Shakti and Bobbi made eight visits to Dunoon Public School, NSW, Australia. Each visit they spent an hour in each of the four primary classrooms, covering a range of mindfulness-related topics. A constant feature was a 3-minute guided session of meditative focus. Teachers were encouraged to continue the 3-minute session on a regular basis. The photos show children in Year K-4 with their drawings of the 'treasure' in their lives.
In 2016 they are delivering a similar program at The Pocket Public School, northern NSW. Stay tuned for more details.
In 2011, Shakti delivered a series of mindfulness sessions to students at Manifold and Rukenvale Primary Schools. She taught regular weekly classes to a selection of students at Kyogle Public School for three years (2009-2011).
From 2003 -2009 she was the creative director of the monthly Children's Days hosted by the Siddhartha School through Siddhartha's Intent.